GRAND NATIONAL OPEN TEAMS
The Grand National Open Teams is an Australia-wide event conducted by the Australian Bridge Federation Inc (ABF). It is the only opportunity for players to earn Gold Masterpoints in their local club. It works like this:
- Australia is divided into regions on a geographical basis.
- Each region provides a set number of teams to the National Final (64 until 2016, probably 56 in 2017).
- Clubs hold heats to qualify teams to a final within their region.
- Each Regional Final qualifies 1 or more teams to the National Final.
- The National Final is played in late November/early December (currently in Tweed Heads).
- The ABF provides travel grants to teams that qualify for the National Final.